Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Started as a small lab in Brooklyn, the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory moved to Nassau County, NY in 1889 due to a generous grant from John D. Jones that included land and buildings on the North Shore of Nassau County, in Cold Spring Harbor.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, home to groundbreaking genetic and biological research for over a century, has been an integral part of Nassau County’s prowess in the life sciences industry. Today, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is home to seven Nobel Prize winners, a highly-regarded Ph.D. program in biological sciences, the nation’s first public science center dedicated to genetics, and progressive genetic and biological research for cancer and neurological diseases.
But when Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory needed $55 million in tax exempt bonds to close the gap on a $100 million expansion to continue their programs, they conducted a different form of research. The Nassau County IDA was the answer to their studies, coming up with a plan and providing the necessary assistance to secure financing. Representing the largest expansion in CSHL’s history, the Hillside Laboratories opened in 2009. The six buildings increased active research space by 40 percent and can house about 200 research-related personnel.
Now with the funds in place, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is thriving. And so is their much needed research.